Wednesday, April 7, 2010

flash photography prohibited

It's been some months since I bothered to write--longer if you consider my last entries were super image-heavy and extra light on actual words.  I could tell you it's because I've been busy, but I really haven't.  I could also say it's because I'm lazy or I've been procrastinating.  Although those things are true about me in general, it doesn't stop me from writing.  I haven't written here much (and what little I have written is just that, very little) because I don't want to.
I started this blog, although a bit begrudgingly since I suck at remember to keep up with it, because I was excited about my new experiences.  I wanted to share with others about the places I'd go, the people I'd meet, my students, the weather, the food, whatever amused me.  But I've found that I'm not really enjoying my time here as much as I'd hoped I would.  I'm not doing much traveling or even local tourism so i haven't got any stories to tell or pictures to share.
I don't feel fulfilled by this job anymore.  It's not the kids, or even the actual teaching that is a problem.  They can be annoying, but I do enjoy working with them most days.  What I'm not enjoying are the crazy politics of the school, the cold distance of my co-workers and the residents here and the loneliness of living in a big city.  I've been here for 6 months and only feel like I've made a connection with two people.  I live here but it's not home.  I will always be an outsider here.
It's my second day back after the Easter holidays.  My plans to visit London and Dublin during the break got canceled.  Instead of staying and watching the numerous elaborate processions of Jesus and his posse being carried through the streets surrounded by robed and hooded men, I bought a ticket to go home.  I spent 9 glorious days in Florida.  I got to see my parents and my sister and a few of my friends, but I really went home to see Clinton.  I miss my life with him.  I also had the chance to see Peter, my best friend from high school.  We hadn't seen each other or spoken for 6 years.  I nearly shit a brick when he contacted me.  When I found out he'd be in Florida, I made plans to see him.  I just wish I'd had more than a few hours with him.  Four hours isn't nearly enough time to make up for 6 years.
Anyway, I'm back in Madrid now, still exhausted from the jet lag.  I'm thinking of visiting Marissa soon, so I may write about new adventures in pie baking and Skittles tasting (did you know Skittle from the UK are different from Skittle from the US and that you cannot bring UK Skittles into the US?)  Leahnie is also wanting to plan trips to Sevilla and Barcelona.  Until then I am just counting down until my time here is up.  Only 86 more days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment