Friday, November 13, 2009

On being shy

I openly admit that I am painfully shy.  I don't really like the concept of a blog.  To me, it is nothing more than a little place on the internet where one can cry out for the attention of others.  I'm not so comfortable with this idea.  I don't like to have others staring at me, invading every little detail.  I'm not an exhibitionist.  I like my privacy.
Which is not to say that I don't like to have friends.  Nor is it that I don't like to talk to them.  I just don't like to be the center of attention.  I'd much rather get a phone call, or a surprise lunch visit to catch you up on the events of my life.  This writing it all out and publishing it for the world to see, waiting for someone to want to come and read it just feels like megalomania.  My life is just not that big, that interesting, that glamorous that the world needs to know.
But yet, here I am, writing.  And here I am, publishing.  And here I am, waiting.  So my point is, if I have to make this effort, if I have to force myself to expose my life's details, I expect you to make it a little easier for me.  Just as you expect me to write, I expect you to read.  No, I expect more than that.  I expect you to be active participants.  I expect you to reply.  I expect you to ask questions.  I'm not here writing for my benefit.  I already know what is happening in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Because I have "known" you for about 2 years, and you are who you are (intelligent and ambitious), posting this blog is very interesting to me. Being where you are and sharing your experiences, is so fascinating to me. Being able to see where you are, I enjoy it more than you know. Also, sharing with co-workers and customers who come into the store, makes them happy, I think. I took the postcard to work and shared it with them. Ron, the coffee guy, says "send more postcards." He is always asking how "our friend" is doing. He is so happy for you. I think envious, maybe? Anyway, I had to respond to your blog. I am always thinking about you. And believe you are having the time of your life. Keep writing. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll send more postcards when I can get some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the blog with me. I think it's a very good idea to have your blog. I will try to read every post you write.
    Take care. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete