Friday, November 13, 2009

Day trip to Consuegra


I haven't done much traveling yet.  I had to conserve my funds the first month for frivolous expenses such as rent and groceries.  Working at 7-Eleven for the summer did not leave me with a pile of savings.

I did manage to make one day trip with Marissa.  We thought it might be both fun and educational to visit the Saffron Flower Festival in Consuegra.  So I dragged myself out of bed early, packed a lunch and a change of clothes, hauled ass across town, and nearly missed my bus to Toledo.  I seriously got the LAST seat on the bus...and only because I was traveling alone.



I met Marissa in Toledo and we caught the next bus bound for Consuegra, a tiny town in Castilla La Mancha.  It's famous for Don Quixote's windmills.  We wandered about the small town, with the help of the friendly employees of the two tourism offices, stopping to take pictures, and to have a beer. Marissa found a Simpsons toy vending machine and bought one.  We then proceeded to take pictures of Apu everywhere.  We had fun admiring the medieval costumes and watching them make a humongous Paella. We made sure to visit those famous windmills. The weather was beautiful.  Blue skies, warm air.  But by the time six o' clock rolled around, we had seen enough, and were ready to get on the bus back to Toledo.




There was just one small problem.  That bus never came.  We waited for more than two hours!  We went back to the tourism office to ask for help.  One of them was kind enough to drive us to the next town where we were able to catch a bus to Madrid instead.  It was well after midnight by the time we got back to my apartment.









As always, you can see more pictures at Facebook.



4 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa!

    Lo siento, prefiero escribir en espanol, es mejor asi, porque sabes que mi inglés es... fatal! Me gusta porque al fin y al cabo puedo entender lo que estas escribiendo, es una buena cosa! Leer es mas facil que exprimirse! Pues, muchas gracias por tu enlace, veo que estas visitando todavia sitios bonitos, que suerte, ademas con el tiempo (sol, sol y sol!!!) tienes aun mas suerte! Aqui en Estrasburgo hace dos semanas que tenemos lluvia, es horrible, me gustaria mas estar en Espana! Solo puedo alentarte seguir con este blog, a mi tampoco la idea de crear un blog no me apetece, pero puede ser una manera de quedar en contacto, o al menos dar noticias de otra forma a los amigos y a la familia. Nos vemos muy pronto!
    Hasta luego! Justine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying reading (and seeing) your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some beautiful pictures! I wish I had gotten more pictures of Germany when I was living there. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pics & thanks for posting some more! : ]

    ReplyDelete