Monday, December 7, 2009

Oh yeah, I work too.

I've been working for more than a month now.  Make that more than two months.  I get distracted.  I told you my updates would be sparse!  Where was I?  Oh yeah, work.

I love my job.  Yes, it is great to only work sixteen hours a week and get the benefits of full-time work.  But it is far more than that.  I actually look forward to going to work.  It's fun.  It's challenging.  I get to sing, dance, color, and tell stories.  No, it's not perfect.  I have some children that enjoy making the teacher squirm.  But it is preferable to every previous job I've had.

My school this year is more than twice the size as El Lince was.  It has got a cafeteria, a gym/auditorium, a music room, and a massive courtyard.

So, yeah, sixteen hours split up across all five weekdays.  I'm only slightly annoyed by that.  It means I can't take long weekends as frequently, but it's okay.  I had four day weekends last year and didn't do many weekend getaways.  My time is split between the first and third grade classes.  That's about a hundred kids, give or take a few.  I've learned most of their names.  I get to lead the first grade class while I'm in there.  Their regular teacher, Nieves, enjoys letting me teach.  It lets her breathe for a bit.  In the third grade class, I mostly do one-on-one with some of the students that need a little extra help.

2 comments:

  1. what did you end up doing for your birthday weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took a day trip to Segovia on Saturday. Tried to go shopping yesterday, but it was more crowded than Black Friday only minus the awesome prices.

    ReplyDelete